# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
# Copyright 2021 IRT Saint Exupéry, https://www.irt-saintexupery.com
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
# License version 3 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# Lesser General Public License for more details.
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
# Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
# INITIAL AUTHORS - initial API and implementation and/or initial
# :author: Matthias De Lozzo
# OTHER AUTHORS - MACROSCOPIC CHANGES
Scalability study - API
This API facilitates the use of the :mod:`gemseo.problems.scalable.data_driven.study`
package implementing classes to benchmark MDO formulations
based on scalable disciplines.
:class:`.ScalabilityStudy` class implements the concept of scalability study:
1. By instantiating a :class:`.ScalabilityStudy`, the user defines
the MDO problem in terms of design parameters, objective function and
2. For each discipline, the user adds a dataset stored
in a :class:`.Dataset` and select a type of
:class:`.ScalableModel` to build the :class:`.ScalableDiscipline`
associated with this discipline.
3. The user adds different optimization strategies, defined in terms
of both optimization algorithms and MDO formulation.
4. The user adds different scaling strategies, in terms of sizes of
design parameters, coupling variables and equality and inequality
constraints. The user can also define a scaling strategies according to
particular parameters rather than groups of parameters.
5. Lastly, the user executes the :class:`.ScalabilityStudy` and the results
are written in several files and stored into directories
in a hierarchical way, where names depends on both MDO formulation,
scaling strategy and replications when it is necessary. Different kinds
of files are stored: optimization graphs, dependency matrix plots and
of course, scalability results by means of a dedicated class:
from __future__ import division, unicode_literals
from gemseo.problems.scalable.data_driven.study.post import PostScalabilityStudy
from gemseo.problems.scalable.data_driven.study.process import ScalabilityStudy
"""This method creates a :class:`.ScalabilityStudy`. It requires two mandatory
- the :code:`'objective'` name,
- the list of :code:`'design_variables'` names.
Concerning output files, we can specify:
- the :code:`directory` which is :code:`'study'` by default,
- the prefix of output file names (default: no prefix).
Regarding optimization parametrization, we can specify:
- the list of equality constraints names (:code:`eq_constraints`),
- the list of inequality constraints names (:code:`ineq_constraints`),
- the choice of maximizing the objective function
By default, the objective function is minimized and the MDO problem
Last but not least, with regard to the scalability methodology,
we can overwrite:
- the default fill factor of the input-output dependency matrix
- the probability to set the inequality constraints as active at
initial step of the optimization :code:`active_probability`,
- the offset of satisfaction for inequality constraints
- the use of a preliminary MDA to start at equilibrium
- the post-processing of the optimization database to get results
earlier than final step :code:`early_stopping`.
:param str objective: name of the objective
:param list(str) design_variables: names of the design variables
:param str directory: working directory of the study. Default: 'study'.
:param str prefix: prefix for the output filenames. Default: ''.
:param list(str) eq_constraints: names of the equality constraints.
:param list(str) ineq_constraints: names of the inequality constraints
:param bool maximize_objective: maximizing objective. Default: False.
:param float fill_factor: default fill factor of the input-output
dependency matrix. Default: 0.7.
:param float active_probability: probability to set the inequality
constraints as active at initial step of the optimization.
:param float feasibility_level: offset of satisfaction for inequality
constraints. Default: 0.8.
:param bool start_at_equilibrium: start at equilibrium
using a preliminary MDA. Default: True.
:param bool early_stopping: post-process the optimization database
to get results earlier than final step.
"""This method plots the set of :class:`ScalabilityResult` generated by a
:class:`.ScalabilityStudy` and located in the directory created by this study.
:param str study_directory: directory of the scalability study.